The congregation at Gloucester Street began in 1955 by Davies and Ross, both from the COGOP congregation in Somerset, Jamaica. They began to hold Sunday School and worship services in Eastfield School Hall, Willenhall Road, Wolverhampton, but later moved to another school hall at Red Cross Street. Once converts were made, a church was established there with twelve members, becoming the first black COGOP congregation in Britain. From then, the congregation continued to grow.
In 1961, Davies went back to Jamaica for 6 months to visit family, but unfortunately, on his return to England, there was a conflict of leadership and so he decided to allow the assistant pastor to lead the congregation, whilst he returned to holding meetings in his home, before establishing a congregation at Graisley Hill (now Merridale Street), Wolverhampton.
In 1963, the Assistant Pastor at Red Cross Street went to plant a congregation at Woden Road, and so T. A. McCalla took over as the Pastor. Under his leadership, the church grew from 27 to 108 members, and in 1965, they purchased the Methodist chapel on Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton.
Pastor McCalla was appointed as Pastor of Aberdeen Street (formerly Peel Street) and a new Pastor, Pastor L.D. Grant, took over at Waterloo Road. He was succeeded by Pastor L.A. Brown, followed by Pastor E.L. Plummer and then by Pastor B.Brown.
By 1992, the congregation had outgrown their building at Waterloo Road and under the leadership of Pastor Boysie Brown, sought for somewhere else to worship. They acquired a plot of land on Gloucester Street and built a new church there. In 1987, the church at Gloucester Street opened its doors and 2012 marked the 25th Anniversary at this current location.
With the passing of Pastor Brown, Bishop T.A McCalla returned to Gloucester Street and is still the current Pastor to this day. Refurbishment of the current building began in May 2012. You can follow the progress here: Our Building Project
DOWNLOAD A REFLECTION BY REVEREND ALFRED WILLIAMS ABOUT OUR HISTORY HERE (pdf): THE MOVE
The Church of God of Prophecy (UK)
The Church of God of Prophecy (UK) is a Christian Fellowship in the Pentecostal and Evangelical traditions, originating in the USA over a hundred years ago. Once established in the UK with thirteen members in Bedford in 1953, the Church was given impetus by the migration into the UK of thousands of Caribbean people during the 1950s and 1960s.
Today we are one the largest Black-majority congregations in the UK, with a presence in most major towns and cities and a growing multi-cultural membership.
Our National headquarters are located in Great Barr, Birmingham. We are part of a worldwide fellowship active in over 100 countries with a growing presence throughout Europe and have our International Offices in Cleveland, Tennessee, USA.
We are members of the UK Evangelical Alliance, and other representative and co-ordinating bodies such as the Centre for Black and White Partnership and the African and Caribbean Evangelical Alliance, in an effort to promote unity within the Body of Christ.
Please contact the National Office for any further information:
Administrative Offices, Church of God of Prophecy
6 Beacon Court, Birmingham Road
Telephone: 0121 358 2231
Fax: 0121 358 1065
1. Official Website of the Church of God of Prophecy
2. COGOP UK (site currently down for maintenance)
3. COGOP History and Beliefs Wikipedia
4. A History of COGOP in the Midlands: B.A.Miles. 2006. When the Church of God Arises. Cromwell Press Ltd. ISBN: 1 85858 314 4..